On a Mission to Mend...
Offering a Queerly Creative perspective on mending, rendering beauty into the fabric of your everyday. I specialize in visible mending, a blending of the modern flair with old world simplicity.
In effect what I do is "remendering" which refers to several elements of what the work I'm doing is about...I am in essence REMAKING something worn into something newer via MENDING. It's a process of REMEMBERING what REMAINS and making use of it for the present (& future) and RENDERING it into not only something that hold it's own well-worn beauty (a la the Velveteen Rabbit) but also retains it's function & use.
Other services offered include...
- Visible mending/Embroidery/Non-traditional Sashiko (with or without patching and/or reinforcing)
- Traditional Sashiko
- Darning (socks, gloves, sweaters)
- Embellishments (general, over stains or holes)
- Minor repairs (buttons, zippers, other new hardware, frays)
During the assessment process I'll look over your garment(s) and we'll discuss what you're looking for in a mend. This allows me the gauge whether the mend is something I can take on or whether I might refer you to someone who specializes in what you're looking for. Referrals only apply to local mends. A loose estimate will be provided based on my knowledge base, the mending parameters, and state of the garment. All rates are PER GARMENT.
Mends may or may not involve specific styles or techniques, which will be discussed prior to the beginning of a mend. I will make recommendations based on my experience and what I observe with the given garment and consult with the final look for which you are going.
- Assessment Fee: to determine mendability of garment. Non-refundable.
- Small (gloves, socks, hat): 1 week turnover time.
- Medium (pants, shirt, sweater): 2 weeks turnover time.
- Large (blankets): 3 weeks turnover time.